Services
Home History Churchyard Hall Contact
   History of

The ancient village church of St. Mary the Virgin, Wendens Ambo, near Saffron Walden, Essex.

Dating from about 1085, the western tower is undoubtedly the most interesting part of the church. A very peculiar feature found also in the Saxon tower of St. Benet's church at Cambridge, is a series of round sound holes just below the embattled parapet.

The fittings incorporate several exceptional medieval features with 'modern' pews. A memorial of a man in armour of c1410 is believed to commemorate Sir William Lovenay. Several memorials and inscribed floor slabs include a dedication to a midshipman in Nelson's vanguard who died in 1886 in his 104 year.

Historical notes compiled by Philip G. M. Dickinson F.S.A,F.R.HIST.S., F.R.G.S. and revised by John J. Mackay, and in 2006 Denis Dunstone, are available at the church, with a helpful plan.

site sponsored by and Copyright Caroline Guthrie

Home

History

Services

Churchyard

Hall

Contact

item1
item3
item4
item7
item8
Services Home Churchyard Hall Contact