Services
Home History Churchyard Hall Contact
building
item2
   Welcome to bubble

Welcome to the ancient village church of Wendens Ambo, near Saffron Walden, Essex.

Our church is welcoming to all for those seeking a spiritual environment to worship God, by attending services, prayer meetings, a christening, wedding or funeral or just seeking quiet contemplation.

Wendens Ambo Church is lovingly maintained by a large number of volunteers. Large rotating teams look after the churchyard maintenance, flower arranging, and cleaning. Villagers also rotate the duties of sidesperson at services, which are announced to the village regularly by our bellringers.

On going projects involve growing the choir, family services and facilities, and extending the churchyard.

Wendens Ambo Church, formerly of Great Wenden, is dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin and is one of the most interesting churches in North-west Essex. It consists of a chancel with organ chamber, an aisled nave, a south porch and a western tower. The vestry in the western end of the south aisle, is unusually positioned.

The first church on the site was probably constructed of wood, perhaps as early as the eighth century, but no trace of it remains. It seems to have been rebuilt in stone about the time Domesday Book was written (1086 A.D.) with later additions in the 13th, 14th, 15th and 19th centuries.

The church register of Great Wenden commenced in 1540. After Volume II, which was the register of Little Wenden until 1662, the two parishes were united as Wendens Ambo.

In the 19th century Lord Braybrooke gifted land and a hall neighbouring the church to enable an extension to the ancient churchyard. The hall was extensively modernised in 2007 and under lease to the Village Hall, is managed for use by a variety of active village interest groups and activities.


bubble1b
bubble1c
bubble1a
bubble1

site sponsored by and Copyright Caroline Guthrie

Home

History

Services

Churchyard

Hall

Contact

Services Home History Churchyard Hall Contact